Saturday, June 25, 2016

Write-a-lution Manifesto

So, there's this great guy named Bruce Lazarus who heard me share at the Dramatists Guild National Convention on my self-publishing journey and he insists that what I'm doing as an indie author is pretty special.  I'm afraid I suffer from imposter syndrome, though, because the voices in my head shout things like, "Sure,things may be fine now, but it will all come CRASHING DOWN AROUND YOUR EARS ANY SECOND NOW.  ANY SECOND!"

But I took a look at the Author Earnings report the other day and it turns out (much to my surprise) you could fit all of the authors who are in my bracket in a large Broadway theater.  Say... Hamilton's theater... you know... if anyone is looking for ideas on where to hold a club meeting...

This truth finally made me acknowledge my head is full of idiots.  As such, I've decided to stop listening to them and start listening to the advocates and champions in my life who keep dragging me, kicking and screaming, into the light.

I am a successful author.  I consistently make six-figures.  I make more as a writer than I ever did in an office.  There were other authors ahead of me that shone the light and taught me how to do it and, you know, gosh darn it, it's time for me to return the favor.

This blog has been stagnant for awhile, but I'm going to start sharing more about how I do what I do so that YOU can do what you want to do.  The biggest joy I have as an author is watching other's grab a hold of their writing dreams.  I want you to do that.  I'm going to start taking time out of my writing day to share my journey so that YOU can start YOUR journey.  Take what works for you and leave the rest.  I am not the end-all-be-all, but I've done it and I hope my mistakes and victories can give you the courage to give your dreams a fair shake, too.  It is not an easy path.  The market is getting more and more complicated.  But it is possible.  As the old saying goes, "When you find a job you love, you never work a day in your life."  Welcome to the party.  Viva la Write-a-lution!


No comments:

Post a Comment