Wednesday, November 7, 2012

In which I land a traditional publishing deal and might be considered a "real" author



It all started January 2012.  I opened up my email and there was a note from 47North, Amazon's newest publishing imprint.  Their peeps are New York Times bestselling authors, their print editions feature some of the hottest shows on television... and... me...  They were wondering if I might be willing to talk to them about signing a little book I self published called The Woodcutter.

(this is me October 2010 with 
the very first copy of The Woodcutter 
ever to come off the presses)

I've spent almost my whole life pursuing the acting thing.  It seems so funny that after all those years pounding my head against a brick wall, that there was this other dream lurking in the corners of my heart... this writing thing... that would give me everything I was looking for without the soul crushing cream filling.  

Sometimes folks have asked which I love more.  For me, acting is probably a little like heroin - the high is so amazing, you're ready to you ruin your entire life and everyone around you to get it again.  

Writing is more like a nice caffeine buzz - something that gives you a little lift to your step, makes you hold your head a little higher, but other than a few heart palpitations, isn't going to take you down in a fiery inferno of self-destruction.  

I'll take the latter, please.

These past few months since signing have been filled with real... writer... stuff...  Edits and cover reviews and wondering what you really meant when you typed "xyz".  The team at 47North is absolutely amazing and I adore them all with a mad passion.  They went out of their way to make me feel like I was Princess Leia and they were Luke Skywalker and Han Solo come to bust me out of the Death Star.  You nerds know what I'm talking about.

Last week, I received my author copies of The Woodcutter, which I now share with you.  Pictures don't even do it justice.


The cover is a deep, dark greeny blue... it looks just like the night sky.  Somehow, the way the printed it makes it feel almost velvety.

Yesterday, in the midst of election madness, the new edition of The Woodcutter made its quiet debut into the world as an ebook, paperback, and audiobook.  

The only experience I can liken it to is finally getting that series regular job on a sitcom.  Except you can eat all the donuts you want.  I'm still waiting for them to call me apologetically and confess they meant to sign The Woodchopper.

I guess my message in this blog post is that dreams can come true, even when you think they can't. The whole five of you left who still read my blog - this happened to me!  That's NUTS!  You know me!  I stumble around this life not even able to find my car in a parking lot half the time.  If this can happen to me, that means that dreams can come true for ANYBODY.  

The only sense I can make of it, though, is that sometimes it's just that you've been dreaming the wrong dream, and that maybe... just maybe... if you can let go your death grip on one, you'll find there is something even better around the corner... 

Because this is better.  This is much, much better.

2 comments:

  1. Six.

    And you are deserving, and entitled, and All The Things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm so delighted. I absolutely adored "The Woodcutter".

    ReplyDelete