Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Question to readers...

So, as some of you know, I’m an author. We’re having a heated debate (okay, more lukewarm-splash-in-the-bathtub than heated, but a debate nevertheless) over on an author forum about review etiquette.

Some authors think they should reply to reviews, giving a “thanks so much” or (in the case of a negative) “interesting point, care to elaborate?” or "you're so right, I should have done that".

I feel like such things are super creepy and we authors should leave you poor readers on your own without us coming in like uninvited guests (I mean, here you're fair game and I'm gonna pounce on you like a puma on a rib eye roast and smother you with love. But elsewhere).

Am I wrong? Do you like it when authors reach out to you via your reviews on Goodreads and Amazon?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big reviewer, but I don't think I would like that. I'm too nice (hah!) so I'd feel somewhat inhibited from leaving an honest review if I thought the author was going to talk back. I'd also think a lot of authors would not be as polite as your examples - there'd bound to be some defensiveness if someone is critiquing your baby. Understandable, but it wouldn't lead to a good relationship with readers. Direct engagement with your audience is good, but there are other avenues for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian! I kind of feel the same way... I've had authors reply back to me on something I wrote and it just felt a little Big Brother for my taste... but sometimes I'm just crazy. Glad to know I'm not about this thing.

      Delete