Friday, January 20, 2012

Great Maggie for Hire Review by Twisting the Lens

I opened up my email and found one of the nicest reviews in the world sitting there for me. If you have a moment, pop on over to Twisting the Lens and give it a gander.

Kate Danley has served up a female lead character to fill the gap that the ending of Buffy the Vampire Slayer left in the world of sci-fi/fantasy....Maggie for Hire is an enjoyable, quick read that had me laughing the entire time. She is a brash, sarcastic, unladylike character than is easy to love- a lot of Buffy with a dose of Daria thrown in. Danley doesn’t get off track with trying to throw in a romance for Maggie, which is somewhat refreshing in today’s sci-fi/fantasy genre. She is a tough, smart, and resourceful lead character that will leave you waiting for more.

RIGHT?!?! I know.

So, I'm going to go off on a little tangent here...

Indie book review bloggers take on the task of wading through a metric shitton of horrible manuscripts. And they are doing it, truly, from the kindness of their hearts. This blogger has no connection to me, she didn't receive any monetary recompense, she is just out there supporting us indies as best she can.

Yet Twisting Lens and others like her provide us lesser known authors with an invaluable service, and, from what I've heard from a bunch of other reviewers, they put up with some awfully special brands of craaaaazy: authors wondering why the review wasn't done yesterday, authors pissed off because the review wasn't good, authors who don't understand WHY the reviewer isn't accepting new books. One reviewer I met quit reviewing because she started receiving death threats. Another got herself a stalker.

It seems like reviewing books would be The Best Thing Evah, but there is a seedy underside to it. So, if you have a chance, go spread some love on the Lens. She didn't have to read my book. She didn't have to say such nice things. But she did. And I, for one, am so grateful. Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!


----------

Want to get your own copy of Maggie for Hire? Here are all the places you can grab a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment