Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Message from Beyond

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


Last night was my friend, Lady M's, birthday.

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


It was absolutely INCREDIBLE. She decided that since it was her 40th, the midway point between birth and death...

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


...she would throw a Día de los Muertos Spooky Birthday Spectacular. She hosted a huge sit down dinner in her backyard on white covered tables by candlelight. The ice tongs were skeleton hands and ice cubes had eyeballs in them. We were all invited to come dressed in costume...

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


...and bring something for the Altar to Those That Have Passed Before Us

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010 Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010 Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


She thought of everything. From the Not-A-Playboy-Bunny Photo Station...

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


...to the fact that a lot of tipsy people would be carrying around lighted candles...

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010 Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


Her home was amazing and I'm totally inspired to bust out at least a can of paint and do something cool with my place.

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010 Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


After dinner and after dinner snacks...

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


It was time for the main event of the evening! A real live medium was going to come in and do a seance for us!

We all gathered in the living room...

Believers...

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


...and non...

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010


The medium's name is Geof Jowett and it was one of those, "Oh. This guy isn't making this up" sort of things.

He was this quiet unassuming guy who started off just sort of talking about his experience and his life and asked if there were any questions, and one of my friend's raised her hand. He started answering and then was like, "Um... can I tell you something?" He said a name, which was her mother's name (who died), the correct year she died, and then said that her mother wanted her to reconcile with her sister (my friend hasn't talked to her sister in five years). And that's where things started. One person after another got messages. He came to me and the stuff he pinpointed no one knows about except my grandma (who passed) and me. I'll get into the message my spirit guides felt was important enough to spend their one shot telling me at the end of this post*, but it was pretty darn amazing. He does readings on the phone and in person and I found it just brought me some peace.

After the seance, it was time for cake. Lady M. began passing out candles. She then had everyone hold the candle tight in their hands and wish for their greediest, non-altruistic wish ever, stick it in her cake, and then she used her birthday with to make all our wishes come true.

Maurissa's Awesome Day of the Dead Spooky Birthday Spectacular 2010




_____________________________

*I'm working on transcribing my grandpa's memoirs. He's 94-years old. And the spirit just kept saying how important it was for me to complete my work with his journals. The message was also about making sure I live life joyfully coloring outside the lines. That was actually the biggest message. Creation and joy and tapping into childhood wonder. And I'm down with that.

There was also some stuff about my writing. So, I signed up earlier, but now I'm making it official: I'm doing NaNoWriMo if anyone else would like to join me in pledging. The spirits have commanded me.

I'm IN!

No comments:

Post a Comment